Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Think INSIDE The (Dye) Box

I can quickly become addicted to a new beauty product, so it should come as no surprise that my latest obsession is dyeing my own hair.  Sure, I went through the highlights phase (I thought it was a requirement to have some level of blond when I moved back to Texas six years ago), but that proved quite expensive and frankly, rather dated...rather quickly.

So in an effort to save money but still indulge my need to continually change my favorite accessory (my hair), I decided to hit my local Target and navigate the boxed hair color aisle (which can be quite daunting for a beginner).  Based on a few magazine reco's and a $5 coupon (yes, Marketing DOES work), I've now tried three different brands and actually liked all of them.  Hair dye has come a long way from smelly, messy, guessing-game hell...in the days of hair-dye-yore, you only had a few different color options (yellow, red, brown, black), but now you can pretty much find 29 different tones and shades just within the "chocolate" family (warm, rich, auburn, cool, dark, low fat...).

After many compliments on my first (successful) attempt, I finally had to reveal that it was all from a box...and that I kinda have fun doing it, much to my awesome hairdresser's chagrin (sorry Lyns, it's nothing personal!).  Plus, they all come with a nice conditioner that last at least another month after the dye job.  Best of all...no smell, and very little mess! Although I will warn you blondies - I have a feeling going blonde from a box can be a bit trickier than brunettes, so proceed with caution (and have your colorist on speed dial).

A few "tint hints" before you get started...
1) Make sure your hair is at least one-two days unwashed - the dye seems to hold better on dirty hair.
2) I suggest trying it on a weekend...just in case.
3) Put an old towel on the floor under you - if any stray drops occur, they end up looking like blood.
4) Wear an old shirt - same issue as #3.
5) Have your timer ready - it's pretty tough to start digging around for one AFTER your gloved hands are all covered in the stuff.

And now to my brand suggestions (in order of how I tested them over the past year)...

First attempt was with Clairol Natural Instincts.  Seemed to go very well and resulted in a lot of shine!  This was also my favorite smelling conditioner of the three.  My color was 4G Dark Golden Brown (in the "Golden Chocolate" Family - yes, it's a whole hierarchy of color spectrum science, and I'm sure if you mix two of them, you can create your own hybrid species of fabulosity).  Natural Instincts Hair Color
Magic K8 Ball Says: 6 = Outlook Good (A solid performance, but I've seen better)

Next was Garnier Nutrisse - yep, this is SJP's brand of choice with the fancy "avocado seed extract" stuff. Worked very well, although it's the traditional "liquid" formula so it can drip if you're not careful (the foam from above doesn't drip at all).  My color was 40 Dark Brown (in the "Dark Chocolate" family).  Garnier Nutrisse Hair Color
Magic K8 Ball Says: 7 = Signs Point to Yes (Just short of perfect, & definitely worth a try)

My favorite so far is John Frieda foam - it's easier to work in, and the gloves are waaay better (rubber and stay on well) vs. the other brands (basically clear trash bags with fingers that keep slipping off).  My color was 4N Brilliant Brunette (in the "Dark Natural Brown" family) - for those of you who see me regularly, it's my current color.  John Frieda Precision Foam Colour
Magic K8 Ball Says: 8 = Gotta Have It! (A winner right out of the gate, er...box!)

No comments:

Post a Comment