Friday, May 20, 2011

From Skinny Britches to Chubby Cheeks...Bring on Summer

As the hot season quickly approaches, here are my initial finds to disguise the muffin top, get lost in a book, and your next pedicure must-have...

1) Skinny Britches (no, that's not a typo)
I've tried to avoid any type of compression undergarment for years, but after I heard Kate Winslet openly admit that she's no stranger to Spanx, I figured, "If THAT Kate's doing it, so can this one!"  They're certainly not a daily wear for me (I'll save those for another post), but a sheath dress pretty much demands it at this point - enter Spanx Skinny Britches.  They're much thinner and lighter-weight than the traditional mummy-style Spanx, and they pretty much stay in place, unless you count a slight rollover effect at the waist (but no inching up on the thigh which is the usual frustration zone). 

I'm not as happy to report that you have to size up for sure; a Large is most comfortable for me (which seems a little crazy since my pants are typically a 6 or 8).  Still, they're the best I've found so far, and honestly, if you're wearing these things, does size really even matter anymore??

2) The book "The Hunger Games" (ah, the irony of that title after just praising a compression garment) - sure, it's a Young Adult book that's being made into a huge movie franchise, a la "Twilight," but this one is definitely more...adult in it's futuristic slant.  I'm not a sci-fi fan, but this one will definitely draw you in, and it's a quick read.  Gotta love a strong-willed teen who's more concerned about staying alive than whether or not Boy A or Boy B will kiss her first.

3) My new go-to summer nail color - "Chubby Cheeks" by Essie (I promise this isn't all subliminal sub-text for "get thee to a gym before swimsuit season is fully upon us").  This is a fun WEARABLE coral that's great on fingers and toes.  I've always been frustrated by trite beauty copy like "it looks great on EVERY skin tone," so I refuse to make that claim - how do I know how tan or pale you are, and I wouldn't presume to judge if this "adds a golden glow" or "brings out your radiance," but I can tell you that I had three seperate compliments the first day.
Essie Chubby Cheeks

Happy Summering and remember, it's Never too K8.
K8

No comments:

Post a Comment