Sunday, April 8, 2012

Life Isn't Hair...Or Is It?

Did you know that moving is considered among the top four traumatic events a person can experience? (I imagine death, birth, and tucking your dress into your stockings are the other three).  We've all dealt with the dreaded packing, address changing, driver's license renewing, house hunting, mani/pedi place finding, and overall sense of starting a whole new life.  But no one ever talks about the worry, trepidation, and ultimate fear...of finding a new hair stylist.  Not only do you feel like you're cheating on your old stylist (as opposed to a stylist "break up"...possibly #5 on the trauma list), but it's a daunting task that can't be put off very long before you start looking like Carol Brady with her flippy mullet.

Fortunately, I have two salons within walking distance of my place, so I poked my head into each one to ask if they can truly cut short hair - sounds easy, but it's not.  Just think, if you have long hair and she cuts an extra inch off, no biggie.  When you have a pixie cut, an extra inch = one buzz away from a Top Gun flat top.  Happily, both shops were confident about short hair, so I made my decision based on price.  I know - not the best way to decide on something so significant, but seriously, my style requires a cut every 4 - 5 weeks, as well as a LOT of products, so anything over $50 just seems silly.  So The Red Chair salon won because haircuts are only $35!  (I haven't paid that little since I went to Supercuts back before I knew the importance of a good stylist and a flattering cut).  As my new stylist, Monica, put it, "Yes, we're the best kept secret in Seattle."  And she's right - she asked me questions and "got to know my hair" before shampooing.  Needless to say, Monica did a great job (even though it feels super short to me right now, which just means I get to be more creative with product...how I love a good texturizing wax).  

Friday...("before")
...Saturday ("after")
I've already received several compliments, despite the fact that the untrained eye (aka person with long hair who feels naked after just cutting a few split ends) likely can't tell much of a difference between my "before" and "after," but that's a typical side effect of a short style and the sign of a good stylist (however, definitely NOT a good sign of an effective personal trainer).  You be the judge...

Red Chair Salon, Seattle 
Magic K8 Ball Says: 6 (Signs Point to Yes)

1 comment:

  1. Your hair is pure adorable! No surprise, you definitely found the best kept secret in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete