Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hair YEAH and Hair NO!

As promised, I've been trying out all kinds of new "industrial adhesive" hair products, and I've found two winners (and at least one loser)....

1) The best one for spiky, piece-y hold and great on damp or dry hair is actually from Target - I never mind forking over $7 or $8 to try something new because hey, if it doesn't work, maybe my husband can use it to caulk a tub or adhere something to the under-carriage of his "classic" car.  It's Garnier Fructis Style Survivor Tough It Out Glue (no I didn't make that name up).  I mostly tried it because Garnier usually smells good (which this one does), but major bonus that it actually works too.  Garnier Survivor Hair Stuff 
Magic K8 Ball Rating: 8 (Gotta Have It!)
 
2) My next winner is by Bumble & Bumble, and while it's a bit pricey for hair product, the tube will likely last for months, esp. with shorter hair.  Plus, who doesn't love buying products at an actual salon vs. chucking them in a shopping cart with TP and and Twizzlers?  So make a mini investment in Bb Texture Hair (un)Dressing Creme - it's definitely a lighter hold than the Survivor Glue, but it has just the right amount of smoothness to keep things in place.  I prefer it on dry hair (tames the "scare hair" in the morning), but the lovely salon gal also suggested blowing it dry for more volume - need to try that next.  B&B (un)Dressing Creme 
Magic K8 Ball Rating: 6 (Outlook Good)

3) Unfortunately, one of my losers so far is also from Garnier.  My first clue should've been the word "surf" since pretty much anything that promises "that perfect, out-of-the-ocean, beachy, wavy, golden goddess hair" thing is like saying low-fat sorbet is just as satisfying as Chunky Monkey. Plus, it was TOO cheap at under $4. It's called Style Surf Hair Texture Paste (okay seriously, someone at Garnier needs to lighten up on the adjectives), and all it really does it make your hair dull, sticky, and weirdly powdery. Anytime I touched my hair during the day, I was reminded that unless I had a wet wipe or sink nearby, my phone was doomed to become as disgusting as my nephew's sippy cup after a play-date.  Garnier Bad Day at the Beach Junk 
Magic K8 Ball Rating: 2 (Don't Count On It)
 
I'm also slowly rediscovering clips, headbands, bandanas (a lifesaver for the gym), and the versatility of parting on either side.  But the best part (no pun intended) is saving at least 15 minutes every morning and having an excuse to reapply lipstick often (short hair means major face focus).

Til next post...stay cool, WEAR SUNSCREEN, and let me know about any of your beauty successes or questions - it's Never Too K8!

1 comment:

  1. Kate,
    Hmmm .. you are challenging my 2011 commitment to spend less $$ on trying out hair products. I had found a set that I loved but now you are making me want to try others. Oi vey - the difficulties of my life:) Love you!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete