Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Leaving My Fashion Footprint on Our Youth (A K8 Flashback)

Originally published September 26, 2007
Update: My nephews are now 9, and my niece is 14, and they ALL definitely still know what Prada means to Aunt Kate.

A recent conversation between my 5-year-old nephew, Riley, and my sister-in-law, Amanda...

Amanda: So how was school today? (Riley started Kindergarten this year)
Riley: Fine...Miss B. wears "those shoes with the..." (indicating high heels with his fingers)
A: You mean high heels?
R: Yeah, those!
A: Were they like Aunt Kate's?
R: Mmm, no...they weren't Prada.
A: Well how did you know they weren't Prada?
R: I just know.
A: But you'd only know if you saw the inside of her shoe.
R: I did see the inside of her shoe - sometimes Miss B. just wears her piggy-toes around the class room.

How I love kid-speak!
Even more, I love that I've already had such a profound fashion impact on my nephews.  Thank God I also have a niece, and anytime she smells leather now says all dreamily, "Mmmm...smells like Prada!"

See, if more kids learned about fashion in their formative years, there would simply be no war, famine, global warming, nor panty lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment